At Key Stage 1, scientific enquiry is taught in a practical way through contexts that are meaningful to the children.
In Year 1 the children investigate the following topics:
- Ourselves, parts of the body and the 5 senses
- Light and Dark, sources of light, seeing in the dark and the sun
- Forces, pushing/pulling objects, stopping moving objects and what causes movement
- Growing Plants; living or non-living, parts of a plant, water for growth
- Sorting and Using Materials, magnetic and non-magnetic objects and testing fabrics and paper
In Year 2 the children investigate the following topics:
- Living things and their habitats
Cross-curricular links are made where appropriate.